CFMEU Head Office declared a COVID-19 tier one exposure site

September 29, 2021

The CFMEU has blamed the reckless and irresponsible behaviour of protestors for the head office being declared a COVID-19 tier one exposure site today.

 

Last week’s protests put union officials and police at risk with infected demonstrators showing no regard to the wellbeing of people affected by their actions. Their reckless behaviour has resulted in transmission to union staff and officials who were not involved in the protest. To date, four positive cases have been recorded.

Officials and staff are deeply concerned for the wellbeing of their families and the risk of the infection spreading. 

John Setka, Secretary CFMEU Vic/Tas said: “This outbreak caused by the disgusting behaviour of selfish and reckless people with no regard to the wellbeing of the thousands of construction workers or their families will not deter our commitment to getting construction back open and all our members back to work.”

The declaration of the CFMEU head office as a tier one exposure site means the building at 540 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne has forced union staff and officials into two weeks isolation.

John Setka, Secretary CFMEU Vic/Tas said: “The union has worked tirelessly over the past 18 months to keep construction open and members working safely while so many other industries were shut and thousands out of work, many for well over a year.

“The shutdown of the industry last week was devastating for 300,000 plus construction workers and the of lack of prior consultation from the CHO even more frustrating.

“Construction workers not being able to work and earn an income to put food on the table and pay mortgages puts enormous stress on families.

“We are working tirelessly on a road map for the government and CHO to get construction open and everyone back to work.”